Requirements for admission
- For students who are interested in study in Slovak language the university provides one-year language and vocational education for foreign students (preparatory program).
- Bc. degree studies span 3 years - 6 semesters (optimal duration of full time studies),
MSc. degree studies span 2 years - 4 semesters (optimal duration of full time studies).
One semester consists of 13 weeks of instruction. Lectures, seminars, practical training and project periods usually average to 25 hours per week.
- The courses are divided into three groups: Compulsory courses, Optional courses and Free choice courses.
- Students are assessed according to:
- Their work during the semester in seminars and laboratories for the courses without
- Their work during the semester in seminars and laboratories and results of exams
(Usually written and oral) for the courses terminated with exams.
- After successful defense of the diploma work and state examination the graduate is awarded the academic degree of Bachelor (abbr. Bc.), then he can continue for Engineer (abbr. Ing.) - equivalent to the Master of Science (MSc.).
The University of Žilina seeks students with appropriate academic qualification, good command of English and a strong motivation to study. Students who have completed secondary school education, have reached the age of 18 or more, possess adequate knowledge of English (and mathematics for the technical and the economical branches), and are not Slovak citizens are eligible for the study at the University of Žilina as self-payers (except for the inhabitants of the countries of EU who study under the same conditions as the inhabitants of Slovak republic).
- An Application Form
- A General Certificate of Education or its equivalent enabling the student to enter university in his/her country. Only the documents certifying secondary school study completion will be accepted. The school leaving certificate verifying successful completion of the courses in English language (and Mathematics for the technical and the economical branches) have to be submitted with an authorized English translation.
- If the document required according to item 2 does not clearly show successful graduation from secondary school, an official transcript or attested copy of the academic record from the secondary school must be submitted with an authorized English translation. Signatures and stamps affixed to the original documents have to be verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Notary's Office of the issuing country and verified by the Slovak Republic Embassy/Consulate Offices located in that country.
- A Health Certificate from an authorized medical institution
- A Curriculum Vitae in English (on separate sheet attached to your application)
- A Birth Certificate
- A Passport photocopy (as a document of citizenship)
- Four passport-size photographs
Recognition of the documents
Recognition of the documents certifying study completion at a foreign secondary school is one of the conditions to be admitted to the University of Žilina.
Having received study applications supplied with other required documents, the University of Žilina will ask the appropriate office in the Slovak Republic for the recognition of the applicants secondary school graduation certificates/diplomas.
The inhabitants of EU study under the same conditions as the inhabitants of the Slovak republic.
Other students who are interested to study in the Slovak republic study as self-payers.
After fulfilling all the conditions (e.g. listed in „Requirements for admission“,…), the aplicant will be asked to pay the advance of EUR 2000. The advance is the essential condition for obtaining the Letter of Acceptance. If the applicant will not be given the visa, the advance will be returned to his account.
More information about the fees is available here.
- Contact the university via the e-mail (email@example.com) for obtaining the specific information.
- Send the filled in Application Form together with all the other required documents to:
REKTORAT, ODDELENIE PRE VZDELAVANIE
010 26 ZILINA
There are the specific conditions of admission to study at the University for the foreign students that will be provided individually to every applicant.
Preparatory program for foreign students
The University provides language education for foreign students. Courses last one year to complete: language training (Slovak language courses).
The tuition fee for one-year preparatory program for foreign students is EUR 4000.
In addition to the tuition fee there are the following living expenditures available here.